Easter baskets are a sweet sign of Spring. But take heed: Preschoolers can easily mistake common drugs for treats brought by the Bunny. “We call them lookalikes—medicines that resemble candy,” says James B. Mowry, PharmD, manager of poison control at Indiana University Health. “Most young children can’t tell products apart by reading labels. They look at shapes and colors.
In fact, Dr. Mowry says about 50 percent of all calls to Indiana’s poison center concern kids ages 6 and under, and many involve accidental ingestion of lookalike drugs.
Your first line of defense: “Store all medicines and poisons out of sight and out of reach of children. And never keep such items near food or drinks,” Dr. Mowry says.
Reduce your child’s risk of drug poisoning even further by avoiding these common mistakes.Child-resistant doesn’t mean child-proof. “The industry standard is that a child cannot
get into a medicine container within 10 minutes,” Dr. Mowry explains. “The flip side is that adults need to get into the container within five minutes. With enough time, even young children can defeat a safety cap.”